Sunday, August 21, 2011

State of Mind

Seems like bi-weekly is about right at this point, since the personal news cycle is a little slower, shall we say, than it was a couple of months ago...



Bethany came back from camp on Friday beaming (through tired eyes) and boasting of all the fun she had and great people she met.  It was so great to see her having enjoyed herself thoroughly with the simple things - outdoors fun, simple crafts, friendship, like the little girl I've known and loved.  Not the electronics-obsessed, boy-crazy, crotchety teenager we've had around here, even before the diagnosis and chemo.  Thanks Camp Ooch!  A GBS (Great Big Sea) song she brought back with her:


I give it less than two weeks.  And then getting "plugged in" again, pesky little sibs, and high school in September will likely knock it right out of her. 


Kinda like that "vacation state of mind" we get in and lose so quickly when we get back to work, or the inspiration of a good conference.  Why is it so hard to live in a more relaxed and creative mindset like that?


So after striking York U off my list based on distance/commute, I started inquiring about U of T and their Scarborough campus and got a curt email back saying they only take full-timers.  Looks like with them I'd have to choose between full-time work and a full-time degree program, and get over a unwelcoming first contact.  I don't know why I keep being surprised at the poor customer service here in Canada, I guess the "U.S. state of mind" is still with me. 




Next stop: Ryerson.


Did you know that someone in Canada dies every 8 minutes from cancer?  I think I've heard more cancer stories since we moved back here (again, even before the recent unpleasantness) than I did in 10 years in Massachusetts.  And, probably not coincidentally, much more smoking. 

Which is why I designed and will be sporting this bumper sticker (on one of our vehicles, not my back or briefcase or something):


Not really cause-and-effect since other things cause cancer, but somehow I don't feel sorry for maligning smokers.

No comments:

Post a Comment