Saturday, September 3, 2011

"Let Them Talk"

Hugh Laurie and I have a lot in common.


We both play piano and guitar reasonably well – though I’d immediately forfeit in a duel with either weapon.  We both have reasonably good voices and enjoy the blues. 

Of course, he’s a highly talented British actor who just released a well-produced jazz-blues album that’s sure to sell millions of copies.  On the other hand, I have people around me who would probably strongly suggest (if I were inspired to release an album) vocal training, numerous re-takes while recording, or that I not release an album at all.  And Hugh apparently doesn’t, but should.

I picked up Hugh's album, "Let Them Talk" this afternoon, and after listening all the way through a couple of times, I feel cheated.  Here's a sample of one track, "You Don't Know My Mind":



It’s not that it’s a horrible album, because it’s clearly entertaining enough.  And it’s not that Hugh has a lousy voice, because he doesn’t.  I just wish he played more on the album than he sang, since he’s clearly more talented in the former than the latter.  His playing, on the album and on the show, is clearly inspired and soulful.  His singing, though, tends to be repetitively choppy and punchy, talky and at times self-conscious, with little sustain or vibrato (and the occasional lisp), which makes his singing rather unidimensional.   In quality reminiscent of Dr. John (who incidentally sings on a couple of tracks) without as much soul or variation. 

I also wish those around him hadn’t encouraged/goaded him into releasing an album as they probably did, since he seems impressively humble and modest about his musical talent.  Most of all, I wish my local Best Buy had “try before you buy” listening stations, since I probably would have screened this one out. 

I have to admit, I was taken in by his face and name on the cover – kind of fooled into thinking that being superb in one art would likely make him superb in the others.  Probably a lot like Hugh himself.

When does Season 8 start?

No comments:

Post a Comment