Monday, January 24, 2011

Eventful

Wow.


Saturday afternoon I took my younger daughter to see "Tangled" and came home to a surprise birthday party with a couple dozen family members, including some who travelled a distance through the snow to get here. A blast for me and very touching. Plus more gifts, a ton of leftoverThai food, and more than a 2-4 to spare.


+

And then yesterday afternoon we learned that, while we were celebrating on Saturday, my wife's elderly uncle was dying of pneumonia in a hospital in California, near where he lived, and didn't survive the night.

Mike was a kind-hearted husband and father of three who had visited us a handful of times in Massachusetts when we lived there from 1998-2008. Always showed up unexpectedly, always stayed just a couple of days in the middle of some cross-country expedition, always by bus, and always plenty of conversation to be had. God bless you, Mike.

A touching tribute by my wife's Uncle John.  Nicely done, Lew.

And now tomorrow morning I take my older daughter to have surgery behind her right ear at Sick Kids Hospital for an infection that's spread from her ear canal to her mastoid bone. If we're lucky it's only an infection and the doc will clean it out without having to remove too much tissue. If we're unlucky it'll turn out to be a recurrence of the rare immune system disease that's been in remission since age 3.

Did I say that I wanted this year to be eventful?


Réquiem ætérnam dona ei Dómine; et lux perpétua lúceat ei.
Requiéscat in pace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment