Thursday, January 20, 2011

What's a 40-year old to do?

OK, so the big day came and went yesterday and I successfully avoided a lawn of pink flamingos (ha Ben!) or being given corny t-shirts or mugs. 


However, after noticing blogs, websites, and books devoted to doing life-changing things leading up to or on your 40th birthday, I started to feel inadequate.  On the one hand, what could I have done but take my boy to his daycare, put in my day's work, and meet the family for dinner at a nice restaurant?  Take the day off and do what?  Skydive?  Go to an amusement park?  By myself?

On the other hand, 40 does feel like it should be special, though a coworker of mine recently pointed out that he felt that 50 years was his life's turning point.  And I had in fact considered doing something memorable this month, though I've successfully ruled out:
  1. Getting laser surgery to correct my vision (after learning that it really is surgery, yo - see below!)
  2. Having an affair
  3. Taking motorcycle lessons
  4. Streaking through my workplace

Instead I've decided to come up with a short list of actions that will make this year memorable/eventful without risking my vision, marriage, life, or employment.  Not a list of 40 items, mind you - there are enough of those lists out there, with boring filler like "Enjoy the daisies" and "Love yourself".  And you may have noticed that "month" in the last paragraph became "year" in this paragraph, in order to allow for the scope of the accomplishments (read: my general laziness around self-improvement unless it involves buying new technology).

Remarkably, I've already made a few life improvements in the last year, including:
  1. Eating more berries and oatmeal (and liking it)
  2. No beer, soda, or desserts during the week (my New Year's resolution)
  3. Getting rid of our PITA beagle (see my defunct blog "Walking My Beagle" - no, actually, don't)
RIP Sammy
(No we didn't "off" him,
RIP is for "Rolf In Places-other-than-mine")


So my list for the year (so far) goes like this:
  1. Start a new blog (woohoo!)
  2. Take karate lessons
  3. Maintain the new blog (stupid list...)
  4. Start investigating how to get my PhD by age 50
  5. Get a Bb Tablet as soon as they come out (maybe even wait in line like the diehards)
  6. Copy those videotapes of our 2005 trip to Ireland
  7. Give my kids more hugs
  8. Say "I love you" more
Ok, ok, so the last two are kinda soft and fuzzy, but hopefully not filler...

No comments:

Post a Comment